Tulsa Health Department's South WIC Clinic is located at 6406 S. Peoria Ave. Credit: Libby Hobbs, Tulsa Flyer

Moneca Mckissen depends on food assistance from the Women, Infants and Children (WIC) program for herself and her 2-year-old daughter. She is one of the nearly 15,500 Tulsans at risk of losing benefits if the federal government shutdown continues for longer than a few weeks. 

“It does impact me a little bit because we’re definitely not rich. It has been a struggle,” Mckissen said. 

WIC is a federal program for pregnant and breastfeeding mothers, as well as moms with children younger than 5 years old, who need financial help with their everyday groceries. For a family of two, that’s anyone who makes $753 a week or less

But federal funding for WIC could run out in as little as two weeks if the government remains shut down, according to the National WIC Association, which represents 12,000 nutrition service provider agencies across the U.S. Then program funding will depend on state departments and local administering agencies.

“We do not anticipate our WIC program to be impacted immediately by the federal government shutdown,” Erica Rankin, a spokeswoman for the Oklahoma State Department of Health, said. “However, the OSDH is looking at the potential impacts if the shutdown were to last longer than a few weeks. We are committed to keeping WIC participants informed and will provide updates as needed.”

Mckissen, 21, has another baby on the way. Talking to the Flyer outside a Tulsa WIC office, she said her benefits already aren’t going as far as they used to. From when she first started the program to now, she’s had to cut out items, including certain cereals, that she could previously afford. 

Any loss of WIC benefits, Mckissen said, would impact her. She’s already planning to turn to other options, like the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) commonly known as food stamps. But Mckissen said some of her family members who receive SNAP benefits only get around $50 a month for themselves.

“That’s not really enough to feed for a month,” she said.

Eva Gray lives in east Tulsa. She doesn’t use WIC but is worried about how changes to funding might impact those who need it. 

“I think it’s unfortunate that this is happening, and I think some of the changes that are being made in the government are also necessary. I just hope that it doesn’t impact people too negatively,” Gray, who visited a Tulsa Health Department office Tuesday, said. 

The longer the shutdown continues, food banks may not be able to accept new orders and WIC administrators may have to prioritize certain recipients, like pregnant or breastfeeding moms, said Chris Bernard, CEO of Hunger Free Oklahoma. 

He encourages WIC clients to contact their administering agency if they have questions. Nine Tulsa Health Department offices offer WIC services

On Tuesday, a spokesperson for the White House said they would use tariff money to fund the program, but the National WIC Association said many details are unclear, including how much funding will be provided, when it will be distributed and how long it will last.

News decisions at the Tulsa Flyer and The Oklahoma Eagle are made independently of our board members and financial supporters. Read more about our editorial independence policy here.

Libby Hobbs is the cost of living reporter at the Tulsa Flyer. Libby is a proud graduate of the University of Georgia, where she studied journalism and music. She wrote for The Red & Black, an independent,...